Skip to content


Documentation submitted with an application

When applying for a Schengen visa or a residence permit to Denmark, the applicant must submit an application form (online for visa, and online or paper for residence permit), as well as additional documentation.

Determining which additional documentation to submit, sometimes creates problems for applicants. Below is information to assist the applicant when collecting documentation.

Below is a short FAQ, followed by general information which concerns all documentation, which is followed by information specific to residence permits and Schengen visas. The last chapter concerns legalization of documents.



Where can I find information about which documentation to provide?

All necessary information regarding documentation to be submitted together with an application for Schengen visa can be found on this website, or in the links on this website. For residence permit applications the necessary documentation is listed in the application form.

I do not speak English very well. Can I get more information in Japanese?

No. The Embassy does not offer any guidance in Japanese, other than what is already available on the website. If you need assistance with English, you must arrange for a translator yourself.

The provided information does not cover my specific situation. Can I ask about details? 

No. The Embassy does not offer more details about documentation requirements than is already available in the application guidelines or in the application form. If the applicant is in doubt about a specific documentation requirement, the applicant should use common sense and try to submit documentation which fulfils the purpose of the requirement.

Can I get my documentation checked before the application date, to ensure I have the right documentation?

No. The Embassy is not able to offer individual guidance about documentation before the application date. Applicants are requested to refrain from contacting the Embassy about which documentation to submit. Applicants should only contact the Embassy to make an appointment for application.

What happens if I did not bring all the necessary documentation on the day of application?

If you have provided the necessary documentation for the application to be admissible, but it is discovered during the application process that documentation is missing, the applicant will be contacted by the Embassy (for Schengen visa) or the Danish immigration authorities (for residence permits). This may, however, extend the application processing time, so please follow the available instructions carefully.

General information:

All documentation which is only written in Japanese must be submitted together with a translation into English. Unless specified in the instructions, applicants can provide their own translation. If the instructions specify an authorized or legalized translation, please follow the instructions below.

The application procedures are standardized globally. Therefore the required documentation can sometimes be difficult to obtain locally. In these cases the applicant should instead submit other documentation which fulfils the purpose of the requirement. Example: Japan does not have marriage certificates. If a marriage certificate is listed as a requirement, the applicant may instead submit a Japanese family register, along with an English translation and a brief explanation about the document in English.


Residence permit applications:

1. The necessary documentation is listed in the application forms. The application forms are found on the website of the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment. Additional information regarding application criteria can be found on the same website.

2. The case process begins when the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment has received the application form, the supporting documentation, and the biometric recording. If the agency finds it necessary to ask for further documentation, the applicant will be contacted by postal mail. The letter will be sent to the address provided by the applicant in the application form. The letter will contain a deadline for submission of the additional documentation. The letter will be sent to the applicant via the Embassy but the applicant should reply directly to the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment.

3. Please note that residence permits fall under the jurisdiction of the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment. All inquiries regarding documentation for residence permits must therefore be directed to the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment. Contact information can be found on their website. Beware that the agency's response time to email inquiries can be quite long. Therefore the applicant may want to contact the agency by telephone. The Danish immigration authorities can reply to inquiries in English. Please note that the Embassy is not able to contact the Danish immigration authorities on behalf of applicants.


Schengen visa applications:

1. All the necessary documentation is listed together with the Schengen visa application procedure which is found on this website.

2. At the time of submission of the Schengen visa application, the Embassy will make an assessment of the submitted documentation and agree with the applicant if further documentation is needed, and when that documentation must be submitted. The deadline is usually set to 5 days. If the applicant provides the necessary documentation within the deadline, the application process usually does not suffer any delay.


Legalization of documents:

The Danish Embassy does not offer legalization of documents or translations , regardless which country has issued the document. (Legalization is sometimes also called Apostille stamp, authorisation, or certification of documents).

The Embassy is not able to offer further guidance about legalization than can be found in this chapter. If applicants have further questions, they must contact the relevant authorities mentioned below.

Documents issued by Japan
If a document is issued by a Japanese authority, the Japanese procedures for legalization must be followed. In Japan, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers legalization of original documents, while public notaries offer legalization of tranlations. Further information is found on the website of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Documents issued by Denmark
If a document is issued by a Danish authority, the Danish procedures for notarization or legalization must be followed. Information about legalization and verification of documents, as well as translations can be found on the webpages of the Legalization Office of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Authorised translations
Japan, unlike Denmark, does not have a system of state-authorized translators. If a Danish authority requests an "authorized translation" of a document issued by Japan, please follow the instructions provided by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs  how to obtain a legalized translation. Public notaries may have different requirements as to who can make the translation, in order to obtain legalization. Applicants must inquire with the individual public notary to find out the requirements for the translator.

Both Denmark and Japan are signatories to the Hague Convention named "Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents", also known as the "Apostille convention". Both in Japan and in Denmark, Apostille stamp is therefore the standard type of legalization of documents, unless the issuing authority informs otherwise for a specific type of document. Further information can be found on the websites found in the links presented above.